Electrical Wiring Prices
Home wiring is an undertaking which involves many risks and dangers if not performed by professionals. Out of all possible DIY endeavors, wiring is the one least recommended to be carried out by amateurs. Electrical shocks and electrical fires are two examples of potential wiring hazards. In addition, wiring must be done in accordance with local regulations and standards, which qualified and licensed electrical contractors are bound to be familiar with. Overlooking these rules could lead to severe safety hazards. So, to avoid unnecessary risks to you, your family and your home – it is best to call an electrician for any wiring project.
True, electrician costs can be high, and electrical wiring prices can be particularly steep, depending on the extent of the job in question. To begin with, it is important to remember to ask for estimates from various potential contractors, to compare between them, and to decide on a professional whose rates meet your budget.
Things to remember before embarking on a wiring project:
- A wiring project can last between 3-10 days, depending on the size of the house, and the scope of the job. It is better to evacuate the house while the project is in progress. Bear in mind that the bill may be higher if you choose not to vacate the premises, for the presence of the residents may hinder the electrician's work.
- Prices are liable to rise if the electricians are required to work in areas of the house which do not have easy access. Narrow spaces, for instance, in which the contractor is required to crawl or crouch, will affect the overall costs.
- Copper wires are particularly expensive, and wire material constitutes a big part of the budget.
- The cost of materials is usually included in the electrician's bill.
- Plaster and drywall repair prices mean an addition of 25%-30% to the total costs.
- As part of the wiring or rewiring project, it may be a good idea to add various electrical features rather than install them at a later stage. Smoke detectors, TV sockets and bathroom fans are some examples of items you could install while the wiring is in progress.
The following table specifies some electrical wiring prices:
|Type of Job or Item||Approximate Prices|
|Rewiring of average sized home||$3500 to $8000|
|Rewiring of average sized home with difficult access||$8500 to $20,000|
|Rewiring of large home with difficult access||Approximately $30,000|
|Materials for the wiring job||$400 to $1000|
|Materials for upgrading home wiring||$1500 to $3000|
|Copper wire, for a 2300 sq. ft. house||Approximately $2600|
NOTE: The above figures are approximate electrical wiring prices and are provided for informational purposes only. Top Electricians are not responsible for actual wiring prices given by electricians to their customers. It is highly recommended to obtain at least three quotes before choosing an electrical contractor.